Resume TipsCan't think of anything to write
about what you do in your job?
ANSWER 20 OR 30 OF THESE
We guarantee that you will come up with some new ideas about your job
- What experience, skills, aptitudes, or traits do you have, or think you
might have, that
could be of some use to some employer?
- What skills have you developed, at least to some
degree, that you have
never used at work?
- Do others, at work or elsewhere, come to you for any particular kind
of help? What kind?
- Do you have military experience (include Coast Guard and Merchant
grade, specialty? Active duty,
Guard? Discharge? Duties? Accomplishments? Medals,
commendations? Promotions ahead of
schedule? You can treat military
experience as general background,
or list each position as an employer
in the Resume
Questionnaire. Don't forget, military training can be
useful in private industry if it is relevant to
- Have you ever published an article, report, or
anything, even as
a volunteer, even in your
company professional association newsletter?
- Have you ever
given a talk, speech, or presentation, or provided
training to anyone at work or elsewhere? Give the specifics.
- Computer literacy and related skills: What platforms can
(PC, Apple, Unix, etc.)? Which ones are you most
comfortable with? What
operating systems are you familiar with
(DOS; Windows; Unix; Apple;
other)? If you program,
which languages do you know, and what is your
level of ability or
experience? What programs, or kinds of
have you designed or helped design or debug? What Internet
tools are you familiar with? What
programs are you familiar with (word
processors; spread sheets; data bases;
groupware or PIM's, such as
Notes, Groupwise, Ecco; graphics, desk-top publishing, etc.);
office suites (Suite;
Microsoft Office; Word Perfect Office);
WAN system software? (If you know the latest version, mention it, as
"Photoshop CS " If you're not familiar
with the latest version, give
only program's name.)
- What foreign
languages do you know at least somewhat,
and what is
your level of skill in each? (i.e. native speaker; fluent;
phrase-book; write easily for professional
- What planning or analytical tools are you familiar
with (e.g. critical path, PERT, quality function
deployment, etc.) ?
- What experience have you had as a manager of or
TQM? CQI? Business
process reengineering (which version: general
structure/function analysis or computer
you have any special travel experience, domestic or foreign?
If you studied, lived, or
worked in a foreign country, how long
you there? Did you live in an American enclave?
- How many people did you
supervise? Orient? Hire? Train?
- How large a budget did you manage?
whom did you report ?
- What was the highest level in the company that you reported to or communicated with
- Did you coordinate anything?
- Serve as liaison between groups or key individuals?
between groups or individuals? Resolve any conflicts? Serve as mentor to anyone?
- Did you do, or
- Did you set or evaluate or participate in the setting or evaluation of policy?
you evaluate any individual or group performance, or any task or project research?
- How did you relate to the
product or service?
- Did you communicate with customers? How?
- Were you on any proposal
in-house or with a customer or subcontractor? Did the proposal succeed?
- What was your function on
the team, or
your contribution to winning? Your team's percentage of wins?
- Did you communicate with
- Did you purchase services or supplies for the office, unit, department?
- Ever serve
as a troubleshooter? In what area?
- Did you back up someone? Who?
you do any surveys or other
research or studies? Determine requirements?
- Prepare recommendations?
- Design or manage any
processes, systems, or projects?
- Organize any events, conferences, meetings?
- Did you
- Consult for anyone, inside or outside the organization?
- Did you gain experience in
any special use software?
- What kind of writing did you do, for yourself
or someone else
memos, reports, concept papers, plans,
proposals, office newsletter, etc.)?
What did you write about? Did you
anything that was delivered to a customer as a product, or part
- How much reduction in costs or increase in profits
did you contribute to?
- What did you do?
- Did you add any smoothness, quality, or economy of operation
noticeably improved the way things were before
- Any concrete or specific
signs of the gain you achieved?
- Did you
propose, suggest, or initiate any programs, changes, or
that were implemented at least partly because of
- What positive results occurred?
did you do as a volunteer, beyond the
regular duties of your position?
- Whether you were paid for it or not, what were
good at that
made a difference in how the office (job, project,
assignment) progressed from day to day?
- Were you praised, recognized, or given a pat on the back for
particular assignment, a method of working,
a trait of
character? How? By whom?
- Were you promoted ahead of
- Selected for any
special responsibilities or programs?
"Professionals Serving Professionals"
Top talent is always in demand. Now you can have your own talent agent
guiding you in your career decisions. Our individual solutions can help you determine if you're being paid fair value, assist
with your career planning, and make the proper introductions to companies who can use your talents.
Our business is people. Talented people who will not only help your company
grow but who will also be a good cultural fit. With a wide array of resources available, we offer you an individual, customized
solution allowing you to save time & money, and reduce your stress while shortening your time to hire.